Lilo problem after kernel reinstall: LIL-

Hey all...

I recompiled my kernel 2.4.2, and did all of the System.map,
vmlinuz copying, then ran LILO (which seemed quite happy).
However, when I boot the computer, I get the following prompt,
after which it freezes:
  LIL-

Any ideas about this? I have more than one kernel on the system,
so it seems to me that the problem is with the boot block LILO
writes. Any quick and dirty means of getting around this, or am
I condemned to rescue disks?

Cheers

Tiarnan