Not using dselect or the likes

I resolved some problems with sane and my usb scanner by downloading the source code of sane from the official sane site and compiling the new-brand programs.
(Obviously) I've found that the various files have been located in directories quite different from those of the official sane-whatever.deb package (namely, in /usr/local/bin intead of /usr/bin/, in /usr/local/etc intead of /etc, and so forth)making it difficult, for instance, to de-install the software.
My question is as simple as that:
Needing for wahtever reason to compile a software not provided by debian is there any way to 'debianize' it in order to deal with it by means of dpkg or dselect?
Ciao
Vittorio

messaggio inviato con Freemail by superEva
http://www.supereva.it