Creating an encrypted root filesystem.

I'm running kernel 2.4.3 on patato with Helix Gnome 1.2 (want to move to
Helix Gnome 1.4 but there server is always busy).

Anyway, I've recently compile the Encrypted LoopBack Module from :

http://lwn.net/2001/0419/a/filecrypto.php3

and was wundering if it was possible to use it to encrypt my root
partition which is formated as ReiserFS?

The readme includes instructions on *creating* encrypted partitions and
filesystems but does not specify if it is possible to manipulate an
existing filesystem.

Does anybody have any insight?

Thanks

Stef