Ximian gnome 1.4

Hi All,

Yesterday I tried to install the now Ximian Gnome 1.4 on potato
stable, unsuccesfully. After automatically  downloading the installer,
then manually downloading the installer, and running it, the
installer complains about not having exclusive access to dpkg (it
says : could not process /var/lib/dpkg/status ) and suggests that
some other app (apt, dpkg, rpm blablabla) uses the database. So it
does not even start. I am not running anything like that as far as I
know. So I am stuck. Anybody has an idea?

The other thing:

This beast is HUGE! 170 Mbytes, so the use of the  downloader will be
interrupted anyway, on a dialup connection. I tried this on a
Mandrake box, and the installer has an option to install the stuff
from a local directory. Anyone has an idea about ximian mirrors
from where I could download this thing on a speedier connection (as
you guessed, NT at work)?

Or installing it in the debian way with dselect or apt? But what
should I put into sources.list, and what command to use to start the
install (This could be done even on a dialup O/N, because apt
restarts itself from the point it lost the connection)?

Thanks in advance. -- Viktor