Re: communicator: contrib vs non-free

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:04:27AM -0700, peanut butter wrote:
> Hi, forgive me if this is a stupid or over-answered question.  I
> just spent alot of time searching the last quarter of mailing
> list archives and searching Debian Package descriptions to answer
> the question myself but can't seem to find a suitable answer:
>
> What is the difference between Communicator offered through "contrib"
> vs. "non-free".  Which naturally leads to: is one better
> than the other?
>
> With the just previous round of Communicator being released by Debian
> Security, the last two machines I have upgrading "voluntarily", as a
> "new" package, downloaded the non-free version of Communicator which
> conflicts with the (I suppose) already installed contrib version.
> Since I apparently can't have both, I have to decide between one or the
> other.

The communicator package in contrib is a meta package that depends upon
the real packages in non-free.  Rather than downloading and trying to
install it, let apt-get handle the dependencies for you
(apt-get install communicator).

$ apt-cache show communicator
Package: communicator
Section: contrib/web
Installed-Size: 7
Maintainer: Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: netscape4.base
Version: 1:4.76-1
Depends: communicator-smotif-476,netscape-java-476,netscape-base-4
Conflicts:
netscape-base-406,netscape-base-407,netscape-base-408,netscape-base-45,netscape-base-451,netscape-base-46,netscape-base-461,netscape-base-47,netscape-base-472,netscape-base-473,netscape-base-475
Filename: dists/potato/contrib/binary-i386/web/communicator_4.76-1.deb
Size: 1056
MD5sum: d9d1220ee850ce42561d3f391f818e1a
 This package depends on the real netscape packages, so as to
 make things easier for people to install.
meta-package: yes