Re: Gnus as email client (was: GUI Email program)

Johann Spies <jhspies@adept.co.za> writes:

> I would like to know what is it that you like so much about
> Emacs+Gnus?  I am not trying to be sarcastic or something like that.
> I have tried to configure gnus a few times for using with email and
> found it a frustration to get working.
Well, configuring gnus is not straightforward. I really appreciate the
following book : "Teach yourself Emacs in 24 hours", by Jesper Pedersen,
SAMS Publishing (ISBN 0-672-31594-7, http://www.blackie.dk/emacs/).
2 chapters are dedicated to gnus and its configuration, and (in a few hours)
you have your gnus configured for email and news.

> In which ways would gnus be better than mutt and pine for example?
>  Maybe I never saw it working properly.
I can't answer you since I don't know anything about mutt or pine.
I just know that some people like them. I only used evolution (latest
snapshots), balsa, and mozilla mail. Emacs + Gnus is DEFINITELY my
favourite (all the power of Emacs...)

> I like emacs and use it regularly, but could never understand why the
> gnus users are so enthusiastic about using gnus for mail.
Well, see above :-)

Dominique