Debian box does not 'finish' booting...

Hi,

I'm having some troubles with a Debian/PPC box running mostly testing (woody?) packages...

After starting up, I have noticed that the /etc/nologin file is not removed, as it should be, and as a result, I cannot SSH or login with any user except root. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm not sure why it's happening, except that it started a couple of days ago...

All of the services start up correctly, and the system seems to have switched to runlevel 2 and run all of the services there, but the /etc/nologin file still exists, even after a number of hours...

Are there any configuration files which could have caused this?

Thanks...