Re: X memory problem

|--------------------------STUFF SNIPPED------------------------|
Marc Leeman wrote:

> some info:
> P III 550
> Diamond Viper 770 Ultra
> 512 Mb RAM (2x 128 Mb pc100 and 1x 256 Mb pc133)
> XFree86 4.0.3 (not debian)
> SDL 1.2.0
> avifile 0.53.5
> KDE 2.1.1 (but I also have it in the XDM login screen or with startx, so
> this is not a problem).
|--------------------------STUFF SNIPPED------------------------|
You need to provide more info regarding the installation if you think
it's something there. Let's start with something simple.

Did you configure KDE to automatically save the desktop when exiting. If
so change it to save the desktop manually. Then use annilate to destroy
the offending feature, check for running processes with the KDE desktop
manager and save the desktop when it has what you want on it.

Did you upgrade the kernel? If not you should start there, by getting &
installing the 2.4.xx from unstable or better yet from
http://www.kernel.org and compiling a new one for your system. Please
chack the mail archives as there are numerous references to doing this
there.

I am curious as to why you would use a different XFree86 than the one in
the Debian distro. You also did not mention whether or not other
applications operate properly...Do they? Also, if you have used a
previously populated file system...Maybe the one from SuSe, there will
be other problems. You should remove any existing dot files from any
user directory including root. This will require reconfiguring those
applications, but will eliminate a lot of problems. Good luck!!
--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster