Re: Consoles inaccessible w/ Ctl-Alt-FN

Jumping in here with a longshot (especially considering I only got 3 hrs
sleep last night - treat this advice accordingly)

With the fact that it "locks" when doing C-M-F1 (and, I'm assuming, for any
other F-key), I wonder if it's a problem with X switching to the framebuffer
(if you're using a fb console...) I know mine takes about a 1/2 second to a
second to "resync" to the console (Both running @ 1024x768, FB is vesa, X is
4.0.2 ati)

While you're in the "locked" condition, is the terminal active (even though
you can't see anything)? Try logging in blind and touching a file...

<C-M-F1>
<username><enter>
<password><enter>
touch XYZZY<enter>

...then switching back to X (C-M-F7) and seeing if the file is there...

If it is, it's obviously a conflict between X and whatever console you're
using -- if it's a framebuffer, try using the "normal" one (vga=normal in
lilo.conf) and see if that helps.  If you're using the normal one...I dunno.

If you DON'T start X (IE: you don't go through x/k/gdm) can you switch
terminals?  If not, I don't think it's GNOME...might start looking into the
console-* packages to see if there's anything amiss.

-b3