Re: mailboxes?

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 01:29:58PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> mailx was made no longer setgid mail in a potato security update because
> it was too riddled with security holes, and hence it doesn't have write
> permissions to the /var/mail directory. You can still use it for sending
> mail, but unless you explicitly chmod g+s it yourself you can't really
> use it for reading mail sensibly.

why not change it to use /var/lock/mail/* ? (no, such a directory
doesn't exist). That sounds like a minimal change to make to
broken mail programs that try to do that kind of locking, but it
allows to have /var/lock/mail in mode 1777 (or 1770 and
root:mail).

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Ya entre locos me metí, y lo que fuere de ellos será de mí.