Re: I dumped reiserfs - what about ext3 on Debian?

on Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 11:25:18AM +0100, Phillip Deackes (gsmh@gmx.co.uk) wrote:
> I have been running my system very well using Reiserfs on all partitions,
> including root. However, yesterday my computer suffered a crash and on
> rebooting I found that the Opera bookmarks file contained all sorts of
> fragments of other files. I don't know if anything else was damaged, but I
> was using Opera when the crash occurred. Fortunately I have recently
> backed up /home so was able to make good the damage.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Having heard of file corruption and Reiserfs with 2.4.x kernels, I decided
> to revert to ext2. Fortunately I had enough space on my drives to copy
> everything to a spare partition, reformat and reinstate.
>
> I did like Resierfs while I was using it, the journal idea is very nice. I
> wouldn't mind giving ext3 a go, but it would appear that there is no
> kernel patch for the 2.4.x kernels. Is this so? Has anyone actually used
> ext3 with Debian?

I'm running ReiserFS under 2.2.18 with no problems.  I've also heard
persistant rumors of "not there yet" under 2.4, including from several
kernel hackers, and have no plans to migrate until I hear differently.
I haven't talked to Hans Reiser about this.

Cheers.