syslinux floppy boot problem

I'm having a problem booting my firewall box from a syslinux floppy. It
boots the same kernel from the HD under lilo just fine. I know that this
worked once upon a time using kernel 2.2.17, but it's not working now
with kernel 2.2.19, and (he sheepishly adds) I seem to have misplaced
the .config I used for 2.2.17 when it was working.

Here is what happens when I attempt a floppy boot:
hda: 256MB, CHS=522/16/63
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2
VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00

And here is how it goes when booting from the HD:
hda: 256MB, CHS=522/16/63
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2
(etc., everything is fine from here on)

Anyone got any ideas (or a cluebat, even).

Cheers,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\