I dumped reiserfs - what about ext3 on Debian?

I have been running my system very well using Reiserfs on all partitions,
including root. However, yesterday my computer suffered a crash and on
rebooting I found that the Opera bookmarks file contained all sorts of
fragments of other files. I don't know if anything else was damaged, but I
was using Opera when the crash occurred. Fortunately I have recently
backed up /home so was able to make good the damage.

Thanks.

Having heard of file corruption and Reiserfs with 2.4.x kernels, I decided
to revert to ext2. Fortunately I had enough space on my drives to copy
everything to a spare partition, reformat and reinstate.

I did like Resierfs while I was using it, the journal idea is very nice. I
wouldn't mind giving ext3 a go, but it would appear that there is no
kernel patch for the 2.4.x kernels. Is this so? Has anyone actually used
ext3 with Debian?

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Progeny Debian Linux