Re: Static linkage of files in /sbin /usr/sbin

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 12:39:55AM +0200, Victor Foitzik wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> maybe this is not the right mailing list, but I don't know where to ask, so this
> is my problem: why are binaries in /sbin and /usr/sbin not statically linked
> against libraries ? Thought the 's' stands for static ?

Nope - I believe that the 's' is for system (not 100% sure; somebody correct
me if I'm wrong.

The idea is that normal users should not have /sbin:/usr/sbin in their path -
these two directories contains stuff like daemons and admin-tools.

> I recently ran into big trouble as i accidantly removed the link to my
> libc-whatever shared object. Everything I tried to use to restore the link ended

Big oops. :-)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com