Static linkage of files in /sbin /usr/sbin

Hi folks,

maybe this is not the right mailing list, but I don't know where to ask, so this
is my problem: why are binaries in /sbin and /usr/sbin not statically linked
against libraries ? Thought the 's' stands for static ?

I recently ran into big trouble as i accidantly removed the link to my
libc-whatever shared object. Everything I tried to use to restore the link ended
in 'shared object not found', as the link was missing. I even wasn't unable to
start sh ! Finally, the problem was solved with ldconfig -l, but this is quite
not, what I've expected ! Is this normal, or is the above problem only debian
specific ?

Regards
Victor