(OT) M/Board & CPU Debian compatible

I've agreed to put together a box for a family member, and propose
using the Gigabyte GA-5AX and AMD K6-2 500 MHz from my main
box as a basis, and then upgrading my own machine.

The selection of hardware now seems very wide (and confusing), so I
wonder if anyone has any suggestions, based upon experience, they
would share with me. I found the GA-5AX good value for money, but
with some buggy aspects.

Briefly:-
	a. I don't need a gaming machine - just a stand-alone dial up
	    workstation. I don't like the idea of sound, svga, lan
	    and modem etc on the M/B
	b. Price is a consideration; I might as well go up to say
	    700 or 800 MHz; I like AMD processors, but would accept
	    another make; there's no real reason for me to go above
	    100 FSB (I shall keep all my existing drives and cards
	    etc)
	c. I run Slink and Potato and flirt with FreeBSD for
	    interest, so a board without problems for Debian.

I appreciate that this request could be difficult to respond to, but
what would people think of say a Duron 800 or Celeron 700 on an
ASUS or QDI or ECS board - that's the kind of area.

Looking at literature I can't differential between advertising, hype,
or informed opinion.	Any suggestions please?