ISDN packages broken?

Hi,

when I do /etc/init.d/isdnutils restart (after configuring everything
properly(?)) on my Debian 2.2r2 System with Kernel 2.4 packages (from
the
Bunk kernel 2.4 distro),  I get the following error messages:
    Restarting isdn services :/dev/isdnctrl: No such device
    Sorry - this system lacks PPP kernel support Check wether you
    configured at least the ippp0 device!

But everything seems to be there:
  lsmod:
    ppp_generic
    slhc
    nfsd
    lockd
    sunrpc
    rtc
    ipt_LOG
    iptable_nat
    iptable_mangle
    iptable_filter
    hisax
    isdn
    parport_pc
    ppa
    parport
    8139too

  ls -l /dev/isdnctrl:
    /dev/isdnctrl -> isdnctrl0
  ls -l /dev/isdnctrl0:
    /dev/isdnctrl0

Am I doing something wrong or is ISDN support in Debian 2.2r2 buggy?

TIA

Felix