Re: ATAPI seagate STT8000A Tape drive

on Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 04:55:26PM -0500, jereme (jereme@drjcomputing.com) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I just aquired a Seagate ATAPI STT8000A tape drive and would like
>    to make it work on a debian 2.2 system running 2.2.14, (was a 2.1,
>    haven't gotten around to setting up new kernel).

What's the capacity of this puppy?  Google suggests 4/8 GB.

Even for "free" tape drives, I'd almost always suggest going SCSI.
Media are far less expensive, and if you'll price eBay, I think you'll
find that there are equivalent or better drives available for less than
$100.  By the time you factor in media, you're ahead of the game.

No specific suggestions for configuring GNU/Linux for this puppy.

...but I can help you get your SCSI tape running ;-)

Cheers.