Re: linux crash

John R Lenton <john@grulic.org.ar> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:52:07PM -0500, Bradley James Reid wrote:
> > i've got a problem at boot.
> > my debian system crashes.  it's using kernel 2.0.36.
> > the error follows the check of the hardware.
> > and the error is:
> >   unable to open initial console

I had that when switching from devfs-kernel back to a non-devfs
kernel. 2.0.36? Dunno.

If you used to use devfs before, you need to turn it on again.

Otherwise, maybe your /dev/* is broken. Obviously, the /dev entry for
console is missing.

--
Tschoe,                    Get my gpg-public-key here
 Jens                     http://gecius.de/gpg-key.txt