mailboxes?

I'm getting an error when checking my mail with mail. After reading the mail, and exiting, it does not delete the mail, it prints out:

Unable to lock mailbox: Permission denied

Now if I use mutt, I can delete the message, but what is wrong with mail/mailx?

the permission's on /var/mail/myusername is:

-rw-rw----    1 gregg    mail            0 Apr 19 13:20 /var/mail/myusername

which should be right. There is nothing in /var/lock/
/var is a local partition, created during the original install, so no nfs or other problems.

What else should I try looking at?

Thanks.