Re: Linux Books

on Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 04:22:15PM -0500, George M. Butler (butler@tcainternet.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been asking questions on this list and received lots of help.  I
> am new to Linux but have some limited experiece with Unix in the past. I
> have just discovered that my employer will let me have $400 to buy books
> related to my job.  I am a member of a mathematics faculty so naturally
> Linux is job related.  I would be interested to hear from the
> contributors of this list what are their favorite Linux, Unix,
> Networking,  Programming Language,  or related books.
>
> Titles I already own  are:
>
>   - Unix,  System V, Release 4, Rosen et al, McGraw Hill, 1990,
>     Common Lisp, Steele Jr, Digital Press, 1984,
>
>   - A Programmer's Guide to Common Lisp, Digital Press, 1987,
>     Linux in a Nutshell, Siever, O'Rielly, 2nEd, 1999,
>
>   - Learning Debain/Gnu Linux, Mc Carty, O'Reilly, 1999,
>     C++, How to Program, Dietel & Dietel, Prentice Hall, 2nd ed, 1998,
>
>   - Running Linux, Welsh et al, O'Reilly, 1999,
>
>   - C++ Primer, Lippman & Lajoie, Addison Wesley, 1998.
>
>   - The TeX Book, Knunth,  Addison-Wesley, 1984,
>
> I have to spend the money by May 1.  I hope this message is not off
> topic but I feel lots would be interested to hear the responses of the
> readers of this list.  Thanks for your help.

Nice basic selection.  My own prefs:

  http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/linux-books.html

Beyond the basics, my strategy is to pick up texts that cover topics of
interest.  O'Reilly, Wiley, Morgan Kaufman, Prentice Hall, are good
imprints.  I shy away from anything with "Idiots", "Dummies",
"Unleashed!", "24 Hours" or similar, in its title.

Cheers.