Re: StarOffice 5.2

On Friday 20 April 2001 06:32, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some problems with so52.
> I have downloadet the bin from sun.
> Now i want t install it.
> 1. SO can't find my java installation and even if i give the path it says
> that i couldn't find java... I have both java packages (jdk and jdk-dev)
> installed.
> 2. How must i install it so that a normal user can use it. First time i
> installed SO as root in /opt/so52 but then my normal user couldn't use it.
> Even if i set the right permissions...
> Where are the errors?

>From the README:

If you wish to run a network installation (multi-user installation), start
(as root) the setup with the option /net. After the network installation has
been completed,  each StarOffice user needs to call up the setup from the
office directory of the network installation (WITHOUT /net) under their user
ID. They will then be able to install the workstation installation. This will
install about 2MB of data into the corresponding Home directory of each user.

So first as root:

# /usr/local/office52/setup /net

Then as each user who wants to run SO:

$ /usr/local/office52/setup

This will set up the full installation in /usr/local/office52, and a subset
of necessary files under your home directory.

budr@twocups:~$ du -s /usr/local/office52
259900  /usr/local/office52
budr@twocups:~$ du -s ./office52
49532   ./office52

Don't let that last line scare you -- that's mostly a ton of school work.  It
was less than 2 megs when I started.

I have successfully imported doc and ppt files for class, and exported
several research papers in doc format.  No complaints yet.   I much prefer to
work in KIyx, but some profs _require_ M$ formats, grumble, grumble...

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.