Problems mounting floppies and cdroms.

Hello all,
I'm a new user who's been through the installation etc
successfully but am finding it impossible to mount any

Command [as root] "mount /dev/fd0 /floppy" gets
response "mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block
And the command "mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom" gets
response "/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected,
mounting read-only /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: you must specify the filesystem type".

All of this is above my head at the moment.  Any
suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers Pad.

Do You Yahoo!?