Samba Problem

Ive been using Debian for a bout a6months and never seen anything like
this...  I went to a lan party and when i ran TkSmb it would find a user name
MICHELLE but could never connect to it, now when i went to a lan party before
this there was a user name michelle but i dont see any reason y it would
still be on there... and another friend of mine at the lan party didnt have
this problem.  I would also set the samba config and no one could see me.
All the net settings were correct as well as smb.conf, i even tryed using me
friends smb.conf [his worked] and still nothing.. does anybody know what is
wrong here or a way to get it working?? all help appreciated a lot

- overid3