Re: Printer recommendations - Epson have wriiten Linux driver!

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:44:35 -0500
D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 05:43:29PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> I haven't seen what it lists, but the HP DeskJet 6xx my roommate
> bought worked.

You just *have* to get an Epson 680 or higher. Epson Japan has produced a
Linux driver for it that gives the same print quality as you get from the
Windows drivers. It is fabulous!! Never before have I seen such good
quality from a colour printer on Linux! There is a gui tool for setting
paper & print quality etc. too. The driver works through your normal
/etc/printcap so just slots in nicely.

The web page for the driver is at:

http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/pro_e/pips_e.html

There is a readme accessible from the download page which explains how to
set it all up. I downloaded the .rpm and installed that stright onto my
debian box - for some reason, alien wouldn't convert it, but if you do
'rpm -i --nodeps whatever.rpm' it will install cleanly.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Progeny Debian Linux