an awful mutt thing just happened

dear all,

you know how you hit "c" to open other mailboxes and it says:

   Open mailbox ('?' for list):

well, i can no longer use '?' to see the list of mailboxes.  it does
nothing; it simply drops me back to the main mailbox index.

the only thing i can think of is that i *just* updated woody using apt-get.
i don't know if mutt was one of the packages that got updated.

does some kind soul have any ideas what might be going on?

now that i can't access my mailboxes, can you cc this account with a reply?
debian-user goes to a folder (via procmail), and the only way i have to read
my debian mail is by using vi on the mailbox it gets sent to.

a second wierd mutt thing.  as root, when i run mutt, it says:

   /var/spool/mail/root: Permission denied (errno = 13)

even though

   # ll /var/spool/mail/root
   -rw-rw----    1 root     mail      0 Oct 20 08:05 /var/spool/mail/root

this *just* happened at the same time the other mutt problem began, just a
few minutes ago after running apt-get.   any ideas about this problem?

mail problems suck.  any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks!
pete