Re: Problems with mail local to Debian machine

on Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 10:27:38AM -0500, Stan Brown (stanb@awod.com) wrote:
> I have set up a "stable" machine that I plan on using for, among other
> things, and Amanda tapehost.
>
> Amanada mails you a report after every run. Problem is, I'm not getting
> that report. Further if I fire up elm and send mail to the amanda user, it
> just disapears!
>
> I suspect I have a problem with the llocal mail configuration. How can I
> check this out, and correct it?

What's your local mail transport utility?  Debian uses exim by default.
To re-run the configuration utility, run as root:

    $ /usr/sbin/eximconfig

...you'll be walked through a set of menus asking how you want to
configure your mail subsystem.

You can also check to see if mail *has* been getting stashed someplace
by looking under /var/spool/exim/*.  You may have been generating
outbound messages which aren't being delivered.