Re: using RHL 7's rpm in debian 2.2r2

On Fri, Mar 02, 2001 at 12:48:33AM +0530, Ankit Jain wrote:

> I have been a longtime user of RedHat and installed Debian 2.2r2
> today. I have a few queries-

>  1. I have a dial-up connection so its not possible for me to d/l
> huge binaries. I have the RHL 7 cd, n it has XFree86 4.0.1.rpm, can
> i use this 2 install Xf 4.0.1 on my debian box ?

Two complications: 1. Potato's alien would not translate RHL 7's rpm's
to debian.  You need one from woody and that will require libc6 2.2 as
far as I know.  2. Your dependencies may create a lot of problems.
You may try alien for smaller packages which are not available in
Debian, but I would not try it with something like XF 4.0.1.

You would be better off by using apt-get source and get sources from
testing or unstable, compiling them to debian packages and install
them on potato if you want to use newer versions.

Regards.
Johann

--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 082 782 0336.  Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536
     "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh