Re: Easiest way to upgrade XFree86

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:34:46PM +0100, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running XF86 3.3.6. I'd like to upgrade it to the 4.x version. I'm
>
> > runnign potato. Whats the easiest way without upgrading to woody (pls
> be
> > specific, i'm not that perfect :-))?
>
> the easiest way is to upgrade to woody, if you don't want to upgrade
> to woody then the easiest way is to wait for woody to become stable
> and then upgrade to woody.

Well, I have my doubts about this being the easiest way. Personally,
if I were going to try and upgrade X, and wanted to stick to potato,
I'd try the xfree86-4.0.2 debs Charl Botha was kind enough to
create for potato. You can get 'em with apt too. Just read:

http://people.debian.org/%7Ecpbotha/xf402_potato/READ.THIS

I have *NOT* tried this myself so, along with Charl himself, I can't
make any guarantees! Seems to me it couldn't be any worse than a
full-blown upgrade to woody, but who knows.

Gary