slink -> woody dist-upgrade bit me hard

Confident from my first slink -> potato dist-upgrade, I attempted slink ->
woody and pretty much hosed my installation. I've saved files and am doing a
CD install of potato.

The nature of the failure was surrounding woody's xbase-clients, which
wouldn't upgrade due to a conflict w/ xserver-common and introduced a
growing set of unconfigurable packages as I pushed forth in a sort of
brute-force manner.

As I'm still learning the dist-upgrade process, and in particular the
problem resolution one does there, I see this as a learning opportunity
(after a pint of cider last night and sleeping on it 8).

What I'd like to know is if I did something wrong in skipping a release with
my dist-upgrade (slink -> woody) or if the thing that bit me would have bit
anyone dist-upgrading to woody at the time I did. Does that make sense?

If anyone has similar experiences to share, that would be welcome. I remain
in awe and appreciation of dist-upgrade, but after one going well and one
going sour I'm still a little afraid of it!

thx,