Re: Which computer to buy ?

"William Leese" <wleese@europe.nl.com> writes:
> On Thursday 15 February 2001 19:08, Jeff Weatherford wrote:
> > This is absolutely true!  The AMD K7's are superior to the Intel
> > chips.  My only complaint is that no one has come up with a dual
> > K7 board.  I use AMD exclusively in single processor boxes and
> > they work like a charm...  The only Intel chips I own are the ones
> > in my dual processor box.  :-( BTW, if anyone knows why they
> > haven't come out with a dual processor K7 box, let me know.
> >
> > -jeff

The reason there aren't any is because there isn't a chipset to
support it. The processors were built to support SMP though. AMD, at
first, didn't want to get into building chipsets and they hoped
someone else would take on that task. Unfortunately it wasn't
happening as fast as they'd like so they did one for DDR, the AMD
760/761, and for SMP AMD 760MP.

The 760/761 is done and you can buy boards based on that chipset now
(at least  you can order them). The 760MP, I believe, just shipped to
manufacturers in the last few weeks.

> mmm, anyone correct me if i'm wrong.. but i believe tyan will be shipping a
> AMD760MP board in march.. theres already been a few preview pics on some
> hardware sites..

I believe that's the latest rumor I've heard as well. Some time in
March. Tyan is pushing it though, putting out a board based on a
chipset that was just delivered to them.

Gary