Re: xfree86-4 depth question (s3virge)

alephtnull> debian running unstable, xfree86 version 4, s3virge chipset.. the FAQ in
alephtnull> xfree86 docs say that my chipset (s3virge) is fully supported in xfree86-4 in
alephtnull> color depths of 1,4,5,8,16,24. I am currently running at 8 bit mode. I want to
alephtnull> run at 16 or 24 bit but when I do that my screen looks like there is static
alephtnull> or something...kind of hazy and flickering... I tried adjusting my
alephtnull> horizontal/vertical refresh rates thinking that the problem might lie with my
alephtnull> monitor..no good...even trying to run at the minimum horizontal/vertical refresh rates
alephtnull> doesn't work when I try to run at 16 or 24 bit color depth.
alephtnull>
alephtnull> My question is "what's going on here?"

I guess the memory of your video card is not enough.
Would you please tell me the memory size of it and the resolution
you selected?

Regards,

--Wen
wen@japan.email.ne.jp