Re: What is bounce-debian-user ?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 12:24:13AM +0530, USM Bish wrote:
> Hi folk,
>
>   Just a small clarification. The mail placed below was received
> by me today from "bounce-debian-user".  This was NOT initiated by
> me.  Quite surprised to see my name on the LOG (List of Greats!).
>
>   Did others receive this mail too ?
>
>   Could someone enlighten me on what this bounce-debian-user is ?
>
>   TIA
>
> USM Bish
>
> > From: bounce-debian-user=bish=nde.vsnl.net.in@lists.debian.org
> > Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 21:14:27 +0100
> > To: debian-usr@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: External ISDN device

assume, for shitsNgiggles, that your email account goes away.

any email intended for you will snoop around, looking for your
account, and when it gives up, it would get returned to sender,
which is

	bounce-debian-user=bish=nde.vsnl.net.in@lists.debian.org

now, obviously that's not likely to be a real account on
lists.debian.org, but the email system there can glean from the
address, WHOSE ACCOUNT BOUNCED:

	# perl
	m/=([^=]+)=(.+)\@/;
	$bounced = "$1\@$2";

they can then decide (after the first bounce? after five of
seven bounces? after 80% bounces in three consecutive days? they
can set it up however they like) to remove you from their
'send-to' list.

cool, eh?

--
See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't
create jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or

will@serensoft.com    ***    http://www.dontUthink.com/