silence of the alsa-lambs

I am sooo very close...

I have a sb16 pci pnp card...and managed to install the alsa drivers
completely with no errors... lsmod shows all drivers being correctly loaded, so does
cat /proc/asound/cards... I have also unmuted the cards via the command
"amixer set Master 100 unmute" (don't know if this is the correct command to
unmute the sb 16 cards though) the speakers are set up correctly, the user has
correct priviledges, i.e. has access to cdrom & audio group. I have both tried
to play mp3 files and audio cds both from xmms and gnome cd player
respectively to no avail...I still can't hear any sound! I am running out of ideas...
someone help me pls!