Re: PPP connection can't find servers

Jake Hoban wrote:

Apologies if this has been posted before - I've only just subscribed.

I'm in the process of a new debian installation via floppies and ppp. I've
got to the point where it dials my ISP to get to the FTP server, but it
never connects to it and after a while the modem hangs up.
I had this problem once on another machine, and the reason was no entries in
/etc/resolv.conf. But both the nameservers are in there this time.
I've tried pinging the loopback IP address, which works. But I can't ping
anything else, not even the name servers.

Are you sure pppd is running? Check  /var/log/messages to make sure.
Assuming that your ISP uses dynamic IP addressing this should tell you the IP of the other end of the PPP link, you could try pinging that, and also check that if the DNS servers are listed they are the same as the ones you used in resolv.conf

Jim

Please cc me in on replies.