Sound Blaster 16 PCI

I have been trying for a few weeks to get my Sound Blaster 16 PCI card
to work. I had it working under 2.2.17. I am now having no luck getting
it to work using 2.2.18pre21. I have been trying to get OSS to install,
as this is what I had done before. It keeps telling me that i dont have
the kernel sources/headers installed in the correct dir's. I do, and i
have done all of the linking that OSS says is nessary because Debian
puts the sorces/headers in a diffrent place than thier installer
expects. Can anyone point me to a HOW TO or perhaps just give me some
tips on either how to recompile the kernel my self and get the sound
working or how to get oss working with this kernel version. thanks
Joshua