Network settings and ppp

Okay, I made a mistake.  When I set up Debian on my home machine, I was
thinking in terms of a home network and so set up networking (through
eth0).  Unfortunately, I got ahead of myself and don't have everything
set up.  Specifically, I didn't have internet access handled.

I did set up wvdial during the installation process.  It works.  I'm
able to connect to the ISP.  However, I can't get a DNS reading (i.e., I
can't ping anything successfully).  The Gnome ppp dialer (where you can
specify the DNS addresses of the ISP) consistently gives an error
message.

Does anyone know (or can you direct me) to where I should "disable"
networking so that I can get DNS through my ISP and otherwise get on the
'net?  Just a sample /etc/init.d/networking and /etc/resolv.conf (or
other files) might do the trick.

TIA,

Ron
 ./.