Re: New Gimp 1.2 in pool is...?

Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>Colin Watson wrote:
>>   lftp ftp.debian.org:/debian/pool/main/g/gimp1.2> cat gimp1.2_1.2.0-1.dsc
>>   [...]
>>   Build-Depends: aalib1-dev, libglib1.2-dev, libgtk1.2-dev,
>>   libgtkxmhtml-dev, libjpeg62-dev, libmpeg-dev, libpng2-dev, xpm4g-dev,
>>   zlib1g-dev, slang1-dev, xlib6g-dev, debhelper,
>>   libparse-recdescent-perl, libgtk-perl, pdl
>
>Thanks, this is invaluable. To the best of your knowledge though, I have
>the right versions of the above on potato and what I need from
>unstable or sid is:
>
>gimp 1.2
>gimp extras
>libgtk 1.2.8
>libgtk-dev 1.2.8

I honestly have no idea whether gimp1.2 will work when compiled against
potato's gtk. Why don't you try it and find out? :) Building the package
and seeing if it works with your existing potato setup will certainly
take less time than upgrading your system to woody/sid and making sure
everything still works, so just give it a go. If that doesn't work,
*then* try installing packages from woody/sid; don't do that unless it
proves to be necessary.

>The last source as well?

No, you don't need the source of development packages in order to
compile programs against them.