Re: Suggestions for dual processor

Hi,

dual processor systems are only really usefull when they have to perform
several tasks parallel. Unless your kids are planning to play heavy games
(if there are heavy games for X) a simple single processor system will do
fine. I think you will do better investing in much memory, because server
daemons become fast when all is loaded in memory.

Backups can be made at night, when no one uses the server. Another good
investigation can be the network. I run a diskless computer with nfs as
root so good network is vital.

The only thing left is your compile behaviour. How long does it take to
compile and how urgent is that (can you wait a night?)? If it is a really
big compilation you can consider a dual system and use the second
processor for your compilation (or let the kernel figure that out).

But I am not an expert.

hope this helps,
Sebastiaan