Re: new boot disk?

In <20010111094308.27935.qmail@murphy.debian.org>, on 01/11/01
   at 09:43 AM, D-Man <dsh8290@rit.edu> said:

>On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 12:08:55AM -0500, James W. Lindenschmidt wrote: |
>Greetings, everyone.
>|
>| I just migrated from RedHat over to Debian potato and I'm thrilled so
>| far.
>|
>| But, I think my boot disk is defective, since it takes 5-7 minutes for
>| the

>I suspect you are using a floppy drive ;-).  Floppy drives are slow
>regardless of what you do.  The kernel is fairly significant in size so
>it takes a while to load it.

:-) True enough, a floppy is a slow device. However, I know exactly what James means. I created a boot disk during intalll of 2.2r0, and I have the same experience - it takes at least several minutes to load.

While floppies are slow, this is _enormously_ slower than any other Linux
boot floppy I've ever tried. A SuSE boot floppy loads in less than a
minute.

I haven't had time to go back and look at what I did, but I suspect that I
must have done something wrong - I really can't belive that Debian would
be that much slower to load than any of the other distributions when it
comes to loading from a floppy.

paul

paulm@waitrose.com
Paul Marwick - Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, UK
Marwick Computer Services - OS/2, LAN & general computer consultants