Re: MUAs and timestamps, was Re: how to grep without changing timestamps?

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 06:04:42PM +0000, David Wright wrote:
| Quoting R. Ransbottom (rir@mediaone.net):

| >     - File a bug report on mutt.  This is a matter of mutt not playing
| >       well with others.
|
| How is mutt (or any other MUA) meant to do it then?

By checking the file itself for new messages, rather than relying on
the timestamp.  Some MUA's handle new messages in folders better.
(ie, you can open up the mailbox, not read anything, and it still says
new -- mutt doesn't)

All-in-all though it's not such a bad system (for mutt).  It probably
solves a lot of headaches with locks and other processes trying to
write to the mbox as mutt reads to determine if something is new or
not.

-D