kernel and SmartRaidV controller

Hi,
this morning I have upgraded a computer from slink to potato, the
process went very smooth and all seems to be fine. My problem is when I
try to get the kernel (2.2.17) to detect the SmartRaidV controller. I've
downdoaded some patches from adaptec's web site and followed the
instructions but either they not apply cleanly, or make-kpkg dies or the
computer gets unusable (load average over 6 and SCSI bus hanging).
Currently I'm running the old 2.0.36 kernel with SmartRaidV support but
I would like to upgrade the kernel too. Any one has experienced the same
problems? any clue?

Happy new year and TIA
--
                                  ////