Re: new Kernel 2.4 missing "Old Tulip" module ?

The structure of the /lib/modules directory has been changed in
the 2.4 kernels so I guess the modutils can't find the correct kernel module.
(try lsmod, it should list all modules that are currently loaded)
I don't know how to fix this however (see my previous mail :-)

Nico

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 04:07:19AM -0800, Jack O Max wrote:
> I have tried the "Generic DECchip & DIGITAL EtherWORKS
> PCI/EISA" module and build it into the kernel.
>
> The Netgear FA310TX cannot brings up after reboot.
>
> Here is the part of the boot message:
> Modprobe: modprobe : Can't locate module eth0
> Configuring network interfaces: SIOCSIFADDR: No such
> device
> Eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> Eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> Eth0: unknown interface: No such device
> Done
> .
> .
>
> After login, the ifconfig appears lo (Local Loopback)
> only.
>

> Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Warm Regards,
> Jack
>
> P.s. I have tried the "DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI
> support' and it work ok with my Netgear card most of
> the time, except it locks up the eth0, if there was a
> few minutes of network outage.
>
> Example: The upstream network has outage for 10
> minutes and the Netgear will lock up eth0 even the
> network backs on. I have to manually use ifdown eth0
> and ifup eth0 to brings it up.
>

> > It is still in the kernel, look for the "Generic
> > DECchip & DIGITAL
> > EtherWORKS PCI/EISA" configuration option.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Remco.
>

> --- Remco van de Meent <remco@dnd.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > Jack O Max wrote:
> > > I found that the new Kernel 2.4 does not have the
> > > Old DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI support.
> > >
> > > My 1 year old Netgear FA310TX does not work
> > properly
> > > without this module.
> > >
> > > Any suggestion to solve this problem?

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com