potato instalation (despair)

  I already tryied many ways to install the potato packages(because I
already installed it Basic System from hard disk), but it`s how if my cdrom
reader don`t existed.
  Also it`s impossible I acess the internet from Linux because my modem is
the US Robotics Winmodem, and is not compatible with Linux. It remains the
follow alternative:

download the packages that I want from the internet to my Windows partition
and install it from the hard disk. I don`t want install much packages. Only
the basic: X11, gcc, gv, latex, xterm.

  -What do you think of all it ?

  -How do I install this packages from a local hard disk ?

Tom