X error

I had a problem with woody several days ago where X would die
immediately after starting, before the window manager took over.  In
trying to fix it, I really messed up my X installation, so I decided to
downgrade to potato and did a fresh installation of 2.2r2.  I did this
and everything was working fine (including X).

Since I had started with a somewhat minimal installation I just added a
lot of new packages and now X dies immediately after starting with no
messages, which is the same behaviour I had before with woody.

System is a K6/2-350 with 128 MB, Cirrus 5430-based video card with
2048k videoram.

Any ideas as to where I should be looking?

Bob