How Do I Put a Package On Hold?

Hello Debian World,

I'm trying to upgrade from a mixed potato/woody to a woody.  I edited my
sources.list file, ran "apt-get update", then "apt-get dist-upgrade".
This procedure results in an attempt to remove kernel-image-2.2.17.  I
don't want to do this because I'm running a custom kernel to support
Win4Lin.  If I tell it not to remove the kernel image, the remainder of
the dist-upgrade is aborted.  From what I can glean from the various man
pages, my problem would be avoided by placing the kernel-image package
"on hold" but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.  The
dpkg man page implies that this should be possible using dselect but the
dselect man page mentions no such thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mark