newer apache version (from source)

Is there an easy possibility to create a debian package for apache 1.3.14
that can be used instead of the original debian package?
what about the other things like paths: how can they kept debian compatible?
 (i saw a config.layout file, but i wasn't able to figure out what the paths
are
 like in  debian)

the second thng is:
at the moment a use
apache-common
apache
apache-ssl

-> how can I modify the apache configuration to support https?
I tried to add the AddModule line and the other httpd stuff from apache-ssl
to my normal apache configuration files. I also created a new virtual host
that had the same name but used port 443.
Nonetheless is didn't work!

tia
Erich Birngruber