Re: where'd my 1600x1200 go?

I will do the log thing later...cant kill X right now.
I have already killed all display managers as a matter of taste. I did this back when I still had full resolution, and it didnt affect anything AFAICT.

When I tried to go X in 1600x1200, It would think about it a second and spit me back to the console with a "no valid modes" or something similar. So no X at all.

FWIW, I am *really* enjoying Debian. fonts and such are better, and everything just works better than in RH, which I used since about 1995. :)

--- Nate Amsden <aphro@portal.aphroland.org>
> wrote:
>Jon Nichols wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> When I first started using Debian a few weeks ago, I got 1600x1200 in my X with 16-bit color. I no longer can do better than 1152x864.
>> I have a S3 Savage4 card, which works OK in other OS's... and I have been sticking with tthe stable packages.... I have been thru xf86config and XF86Setup a number of times....
>>
>> ideas?
>
>kill any display managers(xdm, kdm, gdm etc) and run X from the command
>line:
>
>startx >&X.log
>
>then paste the log to the mailinglist that will most likely show the
>problem.
>also what happens when you try 1600x1200 ? does the monitor go black?
>does
>the mode just not switch at all(maybe its deleted when X loads), does it
>look real screwed up ? or what.
>
>nate

<snip>

==
--
...They assimilate entire elections and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn *here*.  This far!  No farther!  And *I* will make them PAY for what they've done.

Get your spam-free, Linux email now --> http://www.linuxwaves.com