Re: Kernel 2.4 on potato

Not a problem.  You need make, gcc, and binutils at a minimum.  Good
things to have would be libncurses-dev (for menuconfig), TCl/TK (for
xconfig), and kernel-package (makes things a LOT easier...).  Just apt-get
them--if you have apt set up for remote, you're golden: if it's still set
up for CD, you should still be fine: IIRC they're on CD1 or CD2.  It's
possible, but not something to be undertaken lightly: my old 486 took OTO
16 hours to compile a kernel...

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.