Re: MIDI (/dev/sequencer) don´t work

Patrick Schnorbus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i want listening to some midi-files, but it don´t work.
> I´ve installed the kernel driver for my soundcard (emu10k1, SoundBlaster
> Live!). When i try to play a midi file there is following error message:
>
> Cannot open /dev/sequencer
>
> What do I have to do to play midi files?

Hello,

As of now there is no support for raw MIDI with any of the SB Lives!
drivers.  Fortunately a pretty good alternative exists though it does
use some resources.  It is called Timidity (you can apt-get it).  You'll
have to read the documentation for it in order to get it working.  It
also does a nice job of handling whatever SoundFonts you want to throw
at it.  We're all waiting patiently for someone to come out with the
appropriate drivers for SB Live! MIDI.  You might want to check out
www.opensound.com (commercial drivers) as they are getting more and more
of the Live Drive stuff working, it that is important to you.

Good Luck,
David Bellows